PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia recently celebrated the grand opening of its new South Philadelphia Community Health and Literacy Center in Pennsylvania. The $42.5-million, 96,000-square-foot LEED-certified facility includes a CHOP pediatric primary care center, Philadelphia Department of Public Health community health center, state-of-the-art Free Library of Philadelphia South Philadelphia Library and DiSilvestro Playground and Recreation Center.
The result of a four-year collaboration established just two years after the healthcare law went into effect, the South Philadelphia Community Health and Literacy Center represents a pioneering public-private partnership.
In 2012, CHOP’s neighborhood clinic had outgrown its space and was looking to expand. Meanwhile, in the same neighborhood, the city of Philadelphia operated a health clinic that provided primary care services to adults and children, as well as a small recreation center, playground and a neighborhood library. All were in need of major renovations and lacked equipment necessary to meet the needs of the growing South Philadelphia community.
During discussions between city and CHOP leadership, a novel idea was born: CHOP would build a comprehensive medical clinic on the city’s land to house the existing city and brand new CHOP medical practices, as well as construct a recreation center and playground that would double the size of the existing facility. Also included in the project would be the city’s first “21st-century” library that would interconnect with both health and recreation facilities.
- CHOP Pediatric Primary Care Center
- 22,000 square feet
- Expect 35,000 patient visits/year
- Philadelphia Department of Public Health Community Health Center
- 29,500 square feet
- 50,000+ patient visits annually
- Adult, pediatric, women’s health, family planning and dental care specialties
- Health and nutrition classes
- Clinical recommendations for physical activity at the DiSilvesto Playground and Recreation Center
- Free Library of Philadelphia South Philadelphia Library
- Nearly 12,000 square feet
- 150,000+ customers annually
- Child and adult literacy classes
- Library-based Consumer Health Resource Center
- Free Wi-Fi, public computers and computer literacy classes
- ESL classes
- DiSilvestro Playground and Recreation Center
- Indoor and outdoor recreation space featuring playground, basketball court, green space and rain garden