Construction of Virginia Hospital Center’s new parking garage in Arlington, Virginia has recently been completed. The new parking garage includes three levels below grade and six levels above grade to hold approximately 1,700 cars. Skanska USA was the general contractor.
Skanska has also started building the new six-story, 245,000-square-foot outpatient pavilion, which will house physical therapy examination and treatment rooms, radiology and imaging suites, clinics for examinations and six operating rooms. The garage and pavilion will provide direct, easy access for patients from their arrival at the parking garage to treatment areas.
The contractor used two large cranes during the building process. Each crane had a lifting capacity of approximately 440 tons and had a 360 degree spin capability with a wagon and additional counterweights. In addition:
- construction workers completed 188,941 man hours
- 116,000 cubic yards of earth was removed
- 356 steel piles were drilled which equates to approximately 2.85 miles
- 376 structural tiebacks were installed which equates to approximately 1.85 miles
- 1,900 precast concrete slabs were installed
- 625 truckloads of concrete were poured
Photos courtesy of Skanska USA.