The National Air Filtration Association addresses questions from the field in light of the recent global pandemic. While many distributors are being asked to upgrade filter systems, manufacturers are being pressed to ship rush orders. And from the field, the association hears the same two questions being asked:
- What efficiency filters should I use to protect against SARS-CoV-2 (the virus which causes the Covid-19 disease)?
- How do I protect my employees who are performing service work?
In NAFA’s search for sound yet common-sense answers to these questions and more, it recommends a two-page position document penned by Dr. Jeff Siegel titled, Air Filtration and COVID-19 What you need to know about keeping you and your building safe. https://www.nafahq.org/covid-19-corona-virus-and-air-filtration-frequently-asked-questions-faqs/
Dr. Siegel is professor of civil and mineral engineering at the University of Toronto, Canada and a member of the university’s Building Engineering Research Group. Prior to his present position, he was an associate professor at the University of Texas. In addition, he has spoken at numerous NAFA Technical Conferences.
NAFA is also hosting a complimentary webinar from noon-1 p.m. Central Time on Friday, March 27. If unable to attend the live event, a recording can be accessed on the NAVA website following the session. Register here for the webinar.
As NAFA finds usable documents, it will continue to build on the NAFA COVID-19 web page. In the meantime, it recommends reviewing the following four books:
- ASHRAE’s HVAC Design Manual for Hospitals and Clinics
- NAFA Guide to Air Filtration
- NAFA Installation, Operation and Maintenance of Air Filtration Systems manual (IOM)
- ASHRAE’s Position Document on Airborne Infectious Disease
For detailed information on personal protective equipment, visit the CDC site.