LEESBURG, Va. – Inova Loudoun Hospital and HDR recently celebrated the groundbreaking of a new patient tower at the hospital’s main campus in Lansdowne, Virginia. The patient tower, which is being constructed by DPR Construction, is the next phase of the hospital’s $300-million master plan expansion of facilities and services.
The seven-story, 366,000-square-foot tower will offer private rooms, which will feature Patient-Centered Design. HDR designed and constructed a mock-up tent with several future patient rooms, which allowed staff and patient advisory groups to fine-tune the design. Additionally, the new tower will include:
- More tertiary services, including Level III Trauma at the Inova Virts Miller Family Emergency and Trauma Center and throughout the hospital
- Expanded Inova Heart and Vascular Institute Schaufeld Family Heart Center
- Expanded Progressive Care Unit and Intensive Care Unit
- New obstetrics unit and expanded Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Outpatient services, diagnostic imaging, a café and hospital support
- Shell space for future expansion
HDR worked closely with RSG Architects to plan for further cardiovascular expansion in the new tower.
To date, Inova Loudoun Hospital has completed phase one of the master plan including site work improvements to provide an increase in surface parking, a new south ingress and internal vehicle circulation boulevard, a new entrance-canopy and drop-off area at the south entrance. As part of phase two, a new 766-space parking garage is now open. The patient tower is expected to be completed in 2020.