Riverside General Hospital Launches Campaign to Save Historical Structure

HOUSTON, Texas –Lack of funding threatens to destroy the only remaining historically African-American Hospital in the nation. In an effort to help raise funds, the hospital is co-hosting a community Health Fair 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. June 23, 2012 at 3204 Ennis Dr. Houston TX 77004, as well as other planned future fundraisers.

Originally, Riverside General Hospital was established in 1918 as Union General Hospital on the corner of Andrews and San Felipe. In 1923, in answer to an appeal for assistance from several black doctors, Joseph S. Cullinan, a Houston philanthropist, established a fund to erect a 50-bed hospital. 

Maurice J. Sullivan was hired as an architect. Sullivan was commissioned to design the new hospital, as well as to develop a master plan for the site. Construction began in 1924 and was completed in 1926. The new hospital was named the Houston Negro Hospital.

The Houston Negro Hospital was renamed Riverside General Hospital when an extension to the original building was completed in 1961. Currently, Riverside General Hospital is a non-profit acute care facility that now provides inpatient and outpatient care to the citizens of Harris and neighboring counties to the city of Houston.

Riverside General Hospital provides medical and rehabilitative care for its patients, owning and operating four major healthcare and substance abuse treatment facilities including a major facility in the medical center. For more information, visit www.riversidegeneralhospital.org.


Posted June 21, 2012

More Articles: