Subscribe Now

Keep up with the latest news with our magazine and e-newsletter free subscription
Subscribe to our E‑Newsletter

Connecticut Clean Energy Fund Awards Solar Energy Grant to Gaylord Hospital

WALLINGFORD, Conn. — Gaylord Hospital will be the first hospital in Connecticut to be awarded state funding through a $323,000 grant from the Connecticut Clean Energy Fund for a solar thermal hot water heating project that will reduce the hospital’s consumption and dependence on heating oil. Gaylord’s commitment to the overall health of its communities includes various “green” solutions, including alternate energy solutions such as those provided through solar thermal hot water heating.


Gaylord Hospital Director of Facilities Mark Vere led the application process on behalf of the hospital as part of an initiative to implement a long-term strategy designed to reduce Gaylord’s dependence on heating oil. Upon the project’s completion, solar energy will provide up to 65 percent of the hospital’s hot water needs each year; the remaining 35 percent will be maintained by heating boilers.

The project’s total cost, for design, engineering and solar panel installation, is $550,000, which will be offset significantly by CCEF’s $323,000 grant. The hospital will assume the difference.

Construction to prepare for the installation of the solar panel collectors, which will be installed on the hospital’s flat roof surfaces, will begin in September.
The CCEF grant enhances Gaylord’s ability to secure clean energy alternatives intended to reduce the carbon emissions. In doing our part, Gaylord continues to advance its mission in enhancing community health and improving the environment.

Gaylord Specialty Healthcare, a 137-bed, not-for-profit facility, specializes in inpatient medically complex care and rehabilitation, outpatient therapies, and sleep medicine. With its main hospital in Wallingford, Gaylord operates additional outpatient centers in Guilford, North Haven, and Woodbridge. Gaylord Sleep Medicine centers are located in Guilford, North Haven, Trumbull and Glastonbury.

Tags:

Posted August 12, 2011

More Articles:

    Upcoming Events